Sunday, December 2, 2012

The disappointment

           August 2012
           I decided to work part time for my final, as I know I will be having less credit hour. Why do I want to work? I hope to have financial independence from my family. My mother is retired. My brother is still studying. I hope not to burden her more with my financial needs. My dear is working almost every weekend. So I should look for a job myself. Not his kind of 12 hours per day job, perhaps just a few hours kind of job.

          Then I found this tuition centre, named "E****". During the interview, the teacher seemed nice, every thing was okay until the salary part, she told me she'd pay me RM10 per hour for the first month, and it will be increased for the second month onwards. Well, RM10 is obviously too low, even the normal tuition centre in Penang is RM12.50 per hour. But I agreed anyway, since she promised me that the salary will be increased from the second month onwards.

          So I came back from Penang to KL on 31st August, one week before semester starts, just to start working. E**** is a franchise tuition centre, teaching English and Mathematics. I was teaching English. The tuition fees is RM130 for a kid for one hour per week if I am not mistaken. Around that rate. Wow, right?

          Time did fly. It was the second month I was working. I asked the teacher who interviewed me is she going to increase my salary by end of that month? She said yes, and asking me is the working environment suits me. Well, the working environment is okay, it's just that it's a bit more tiring that teaching the centre in Penang. She then said she will discuss with her other teachers, and let me know the increasing rate by the end of the second month, which is October.

         However, when I received my October salary, it was still the salary of RM10 per hour. I wanted to ask her the reason for it, but it was the other teacher who gave me my salary, and she was there busy talking on the phone. Fine, I told myself.

         I paid full commitment on this job. I tried my best to teach the children well, and I mark as many books as possible during my working hour. During the mid-term break, everyone went back home. I stayed here and work. My housemates laughed at me and said that I don't miss home anymore since I have started a relationship. But the matter is, don't I miss home anymore? Is it true? I didn't want to think much. I just want to show the tuition centre that I pay full commitment to this job, and I performed well, showing that I am worthy for them to increase my salary.

         November onwards, I tried again to ask her again about the salary. Again, she couldn't give me a definite answer. I sms her as well, and she didn't reply. Few days before the end of November, I asked her again. I felt so shy that I have been asking her about this matter, it seems like I'm such a greedy employee. But RM10 per hour is killing me seriously. I'd rather not to work. Finally, she gave me an answer. She told me she will pay me RM12. I was not satisfied. I told her it wasn't enough. That night, we discuss using sms. Finally, she said she will raise until RM13. The tuition fees is RM130 per hour for one kid, and the salary for the teacher is RM13 per hour. I teach around 4 to 5 kids per hour. Ridiculous right? But fine, I don't care. As long as I earn more than RM10 per hour. I said okay. But she said this effect will have to start one the 4th month onwards, which is December. She said it is better and fair as I have just joined them for 3 months. And I'm the only teacher who gets a raise. Other teacher is still RM10 per hour.

         What should I say? First, she agreed to increase on the second month onwards. Now, she said it will start on the 4th month onwards, after I have been asking her about it for like 5 times. If I didn't mention about the issue, she wouldn't want to increase my salary at all.

          Alright, that's it. I have reached my limit. I told her either she increase for me this month, which is end of November, or I will quit the job. The decision is up to her now, whether she insist to increase only on the 4th month.

          It was the last day of November. I have done my job. She asked me to go to the office to her, and to have a talk.

          She was still paying me the RM10 per hour salary, and asking me to stay with her, saying that I'm a good teacher, and asking me to please understand the situation, as the centre is not on her own, she has to discuss with 2 of her partners. I didn't know what to say. It seemed like she didn't allow me to go at all.

          I felt so bad. I felt like crying. I kept to myself. I don't want to talk more to her anymore. I just told her I will sms her about my decision, and I left the centre.

        I didn't know what was wrong. I didn't do good enough? I have never face this kind of matter before. I have never faced any situation like this in all the kindergartens and tuition centres I used to work in Penang. I had had good relationships with the employers in those kindergarten and tuition centres.

         But what happened here? Is it because what I did is not good enough? But I have sacrifice a lot. Whenever my housemates and friends have plans on Friday and Saturday, I tell them I cannot make it, all because of this tuition. I didn't go back home during the mid-term break because of it. I worked so hard. I wanted to show them that I am responsible for this job. I committed myself to it. I treated them sincerely, all I wanted is for the teacher to fulfil her promise, about increasing my raise during the second month. But what do I get in the end?

         Do I deserve this? I felt so hurt. It feels like they couldn't feel my sincerity. Although she had broke her promise, but I gave her chance, but in the end she takes more advantage on me. Why do I deserve this? What have I done wrong? I have done everything I could. I have paid my full commitment to it. Why they couldn't feel my sincerity towards this job? I am not sad because of the money. I am sad because of the broken promises she made to me, although I have done my best to her.

         I know it's just a small issue. Just quit it, what's the big deal right? I thought so too. But I didn't know what, after I have quitted this job, I felt so hurt and sad, and so disappointed. All I wanted is just to work, and earn some money. I am not doing anything bad here, why did I fail?

          I hated this feeling. The feelings of you pay your full commitment, your sincerity, your sacrifice, your true heart, but all you get is a fake treatment. He or she doesn't even care about you, and treated you fakely, and treated you as nothing. It felt so bad. It feels like what you do is in vain. It hurts me to badly...

          I hate that feelings. It kinda reminds me of something...
          I hate to be treated like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment